Keymaster

Name: Eldren Goes (Masters UL)
    Date: 11th Mar.21 / ONLINE LINK
    Time: 0930 GMT / 1500 IST
    Surveyor: Capt Kairul Anam
    Time Taken: 65 mins (0925 – 1030)
    Ships: OIL – CHEM Tankers
    Result: PASSED (2nd Attempt)
    As mentioned on the email from MCA , I logged in 10 mins prior and was waiting. Capt. Anam came online and greeted me and we exchanged pleasantries and he asked me if I was comfortable and needed to get some water or a cup of tea. This really put me at ease. He then continued to ask that this was your 2nd attempt , so “ where did I go wrong the 1st time “?.
    I explained to him my reasons and that I had gone wrong in the channeling and In RoR , narrow channel , I sounded the maneuvering signals during OT instead of Golf and Zulu. My next error was post-collision actions I had taken, as in the last orals Capt.Mamun Rehman had given me the situation of entering port in a buoyed channel , with PoB and forward / aft stations manned , the pilot executes a wrong turn and my vessel had an allision with a bouy. So we discussed in detail what lessons I had learnt and I told him all the reasoning and my shortcomings and why Capt.Rehman had failed me. I ended by telling Capt .K.Anam that “ I had forgotten to even download the VDR data and have it saved “ . After saying this he started the orals with the VDR regulations.
    • What is a VDR and why do you need one ? Difference between VDR and S-VDR ?
    • Do you require VDR by any law or having it is decided by the owner ?
    • What checks are carried out on a VDR and how do you know it is functioning well ?
    • Who checks the VDR and which certificate does it fall under ?
    • If VDR is not working , as a Master what can you do ? whom will you contact ?
    • Your last vessel was under which class ? What is significance of class ? What is ACS ?
    • Difference b/w EAS and ACS ? Which certificates issued by MCA under EAS ?
    • Significance of ISM DoC ? What is the meaning of an SMS ? Why is it important?
    • What does an SMS mean to you as a Master ?
    • Was your last vessel Ice classed ? How do you know vessel is ice classed?
    • What do you know by Polar CODE ? What precautions as Master when nearing ice areas ?
    • Obligations of reporting ice ? What will you explain to your new mate about ice accretion ?
    • He then started screen sharing and showed me broken pilot ladder with the rope of the rubber step broken , asked me why do you think this has happened ?
    • New regs for Pilot ladder ? Pilot ladder now broken what are your actions ?
    • What will you do as Master and whom will you report to? What is Master’s obligations for safe access to the ship.
    • Departing port narrow channel and pilot is disembarking and falls overboard ? ACTIONS
    • What do you understand by tactical diameter / head-reach / transfer?
    • Incident about broken pilot ladder , where will entries be made ?
    • What is the regulations for having an OLB on British Flagged Vessel ?
    • What are the sections of the OLB ? examples of entries in narrative sections ?
    • How long will the OLB be retained onboard ? to whom will you send it to ?
    • Which entries in OLB only the Master is allowed to make and which can be delegated?
    • What are the drills carried out on your last vessel? Frequency of Em Steering , enclosed space entry drill ?
    • Where will you give special instructions to your duty officers? Tell me in brief what would your standing orders incorporate?
    • He then moved into RoR and buoyage
    • Look and identify : Top marks and light rhythm and characteristic
    • – N cardinal mark / IDM / Emergency wreck marking bouy ( uses ) / Special marks ( only uses )
    • Heading northerly and West cardinal mark ahead (here please be careful as on the screen it showed “Heading 180 °) , I clarified this and he said ignore what is written on the screen and listen to what I am saying.
    • He then posed me in a situation where 3/off calls you on bridge late evening and says he sees some lights ,4 miles ahead what will you explain to him:
    – RAM undergoing underwater operations: Identify / dayshapes / how will you explain to 3/off which side to pass / why? what will this vessels lights be at anchor / arc of visibility of all the lights that you can see
    • S/v crossing from stbd side / actions
    • Now same S/v has a cone apex downwards / actions.
    • Now I thought it was over , but he asked me explain parts of a magnetic compass ? what are the various correctors and how would you correct it .
    • What information will you get on a deviation card , both sides front and back.
    After a brief moment of silence, he then asked me how do you feel . Definitely, I replied that I had done well, I know I had missed a few points . He then debriefed me and said your answers were upto standard and a few points and information I need to look into and read again. But overall “I HAD PASSED THE EXAM “. That was it, I could not think after that. We then spoke for a few minutes where he showed me my NoE and told me the procedure to get my CoC and what needs to be filled. He then asked me about what are my plans of joining next and was kind enough to smile and say “Please make me a nice cup of tea when I come as a PSCO to visit your vessel whilst you are in UK waters ? , I Just smiled and obliged.
    It was a very well conducted exam and Capt .Aman is an excellent and very fair examiner. He is very poised and his language is clear and once he has heard what he needs to hear , he moves on. There were many 1 line answers asked in between I can’t remember all. Throughout the exam he does not put you under pressure and repeats the question emphasizing on what he wants to hear from you. He does keep a little suspense until the end to let you know if you have passed or no , and that was the only time I was really getting anxious and worried.
    Thanks a ton to the entire team of GMA and in the true sense Capt Vinil does make you “bullet proof”. His books are very well planned and has all the content needed. A big thank you to my batch (FEB ’21) and all the late nights in India and all the zoom calls , eventually it all feels worth the effort once you hear the word “PASS “ ..all the very best gents and remember “ tough times do not last , tough men do “

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.