Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    esailor Team
    Keymaster

Orals Report
    Ticket: Masters Unlimited
    Company: Princess Cruises
    Centre: Hull via Video (Microsoft Teams)
    Date: 23rd October 2020
    Result: Pass (1 Hour 40 Mins)
    Arrival
    The morning of the exam I logged into the computer at 10 minutes before the exam and sat at waiting for the examiner to log in. The examiner kindly went through the process and asked to see the room, ID and to ensure that there was nobody else present for my exam and that I had no Electronic Recording Devices. He asked me to talk about my last vessel and my role onboard, once I had completed that he told me he would follow MGN 69 for the exam and to answer all the questions as though I was on my last vessel unless he says otherwise. And with that lets begin.

Exam
    You are joining as Master upon a passenger vessel what conventions and certificates would you expect to see?
    I started going through the certificates and conventions.
    You mentioned that some certificates were issued by Flag or Class, which certificates are issued by Flag and which are issued by Class?
    Just went through those issue by Flag and started on Class (Stopped me).
    What is a classification society?
    I fumbled here, but got my words out eventually. He asked me what statutory certificates did they issue, eventually I got to Certificate of Class, I had missed this earlier in the first question. He explained that MARPOL certificates can be issued by any RO not just your Class society.
    What’s the difference between a Class Society and a Recognised Organisation?
    I explained that an RO is a Class Society that has been on the list of chosen RO’s for the MCA. The company choses the Classification Society to Class their vessel with.
    The Ballast Water Management Convention, Do you comply with that?
    Yes. Explanatiion of how we comply.
    Did you have a certificate for the Ballast Water Management Covention?
    No as the UK has not made the appropriate legislation to enforce it so they issue a Statement of Compliance. (I forgot its name) He asked whether in Singapore they would accept this Statement of Compliance if they have already signed the convention into law.
    You have a new Chief Officer join the vessel from Russia, what statutory certificates must he have?
    He wanted them all.
    He doesn’t have a CEC what would you?
    Check for the CRA (I couldn’t remember the acronym either) gave its validty.
    His Russian CoC should identify him as a Chief Mate, how can you confirm this? What would confirm this?
    The Safe Manning Document has list of required certificates. The Code STCW II/II/Chief Mate (I really struggled to remember is abbreviation for my licence).
    Can he sail without Type Specific EDCIS and Safety Officer Training?
    Yes, he can, non-conformance.
    You were talking about Maritime Labour Convention, what requirements does the Master have under MLC?
    This caught me a little off guard. I hadn’t really expected this question so I answered as best I could. He wanted all the things that I should be checking. I went through Galleys, Fridges, Freezers, Hours of Work verification and Checks. He was looking for the fact I would ensure Overtime pay was paid and also what Allotment means, I struggled to remember what it meant. I said about MLC Insurance for repatriation and medical and dug myself a hole mentioning Health and Safety at Work Act.
    You mentioned the Health and Safety at Work Act, do this apply to you?
    Got mixed up with the Health and Safety Regulations 1997, So had to dig myself out with some guidance. Name some Health and Safety based regulations again I got caught up with Safe Means of Access regulations which are no longer in-force. But came back out with Enclosed Space Entries, Risk Assessments etc. I linked them to COSWP too.
    You’re vessel is getting ready to leave port in 2 hours time, what would you check prior to leaving port (Now on a Bulk Carrier)?
    Call the port to notify of departure, book tugs, pilot and linesmen. Check the Passage Plan, Bridge Checklist, Weather prior to Sailing, Immigration and Customs Clearance. Check the Stability and make a briefing prior to departure. I forgot to send the Crew List ashore.
    You are ready to sail and the OOW calls you and tells you the Echosounder has stopped working, what will you do?
    Call DPA and advise, stay in port till it is fixed.
    The DPA says you can sail and it can be fixed in the next port 12 miles away. So tells you to sail, will you?
    No I don’t believe it is safe, Masters Overriding Authority. I’m already in a port so I should wait for it to be fixed.
    He says to sail or he will get another Captain?
    I still refused. Examiner explained that the MCA would likely give a Temporary Dispensation Letter in these circumstances if I requested one. I said I would request a Temporary Dispensation Letter if the problem occurred at sea until I could have it repaired at the next port.
    We then moved onto Emergency’s. You are onboard your Bulk Carrier, take a few minutes for your crew of 15 and draw out a Muster List?
    I wrote out a muster list, he asked me why I set my crew out on in the way I did. He seemed happy with that.
    You’re in bed and the 2nd Officer calls you to tell you there is a fire in the Boiler Room, actions?
    General Alarm and Muster, Delegate roles, close valves, set up fire teams, positions to attack the fire, boundary cooling, shut off ventilation and electricity. Make use of CCTV, and fire detectors, Attempt an entry into space. If unable due to heat and ferocity of the fire move to CO2 release. Muster again prior to release and monitor space, Boundary Cool, till temperature reduces. Vessel has blacked out, make a Pan Pan.
    Vessel is drifting toward the coast, considerations?
    We discussed the effect of wind and current on the vessel and her drifting. On my vessel the vessel will normally go head to wind because of the super structure. Considerations are Towage if time permits or Salvage if time didn’t permit. Lloyds Open form.
    He moved me away from that and asked if there is anything else I would consider?
    I said once I was in less than 100m on my last vessel I would consider dropping the anchors, if the bed was good. He asked why and I told him of the lifting power of my windless at 4.5 shackles.

Radar Plotting

Actions you would take if the OOW called you to the Bridge as asked for your guidance in the situation?
    Vessel A Overtaking, Vessel B Crossing. I would advise actions to take and discuss the rule. I am looking in particular at Rule 19d. Explain how it works.
    Debrief
    He then told me the exam was complete, and I had passed. I was told to read over the Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1997 and just to be more certain in my answers. Remember that training the bridge team to operate as I want should be one of my Primary responsibilities. He said that he was very impressed with my responses to the Emergencies and that they showed that I was thinking as a Master in those situations.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.