• Author
    esailor Team
    Keymaster

Name : Innes Maclean GMA Candidate
    Examiner : Iain Rowlands (Liverpool)
    Result: Pass
    Time: Just under an hour
    Online – Microsoft Teams

Exam was at 1100, I was online 10 minutes before and had cleared the room.

Examiner came online at 1100, introduced himself and then we spoke about my experience and recent vessel. Spoke a bit about my current vessel, operating areas and concept etc. Checked the room with the laptop.

1.) You have joined a large Bulk Carrier as a new C/E. It is in the middle of a busy dry-dock and the outgoing chief has left in an emergency. What do you want to see and how will you take over safely. I took my time with this one and went slow just to settle the nerves.

2.) Take me through how to prepare for Load-line Survey – items covered in detail

3.) Take me through how to prepare for an ISM audit – Documents and procedures in detail and how you would present the vessel with regards to cleanliness etc. Spoke about NC’s and MNC’s.

4.) Last part of ISM audit, explain as C/E step by step checklist/drill with regards to a fire in the engine room. I made sure to reference answers to actual chapters in ISM.

5.) Explain conditions of class – Some examples

6.) Validity of certificates

7.) Moved the vessel to lay-by birth, switchboard survey renewal in detail with trips and tests.

8.) In detail, process from ordering bunkers to receiving them including tests, spec. Consider next voyage etc.

9.)You have received 1.49% sulphur fuel, would you be happy with this? Told him I would retest due to testing equipment accuracies just in case. This led me into a conversation about my own experience with new age fuel testing equipment (XRF Analyser for sulphur) and GTF fuels which he seemed to find interesting.

10.) You are sailing A-B, your OWS has stopped working and you don’t have spares. What are you actions? Who to inform and what documents are you looking for?

11.) Would PSC be happy to let you sail with a COC and Dispensation on your OWS? Could they stop you from sailing? I told him I didn’t know the answer to this but I was going to give it a go. I said it would probably depend on what risk category the ship was in…that they would possibly show a little leniency to Low Risk Ships/Flag States as opposed to SRS/HRS . We had a conversation about PSC but didn’t actually get what the answer was for this.

12.) Your dispensation is running out and you COC deadline is looming for the OWS, spares are nowhere to be seen…what are your actions? Spoke about pressuring the office/procurement, and speaking to DPA. In the meantime try to convince Flag and Class for an extension.

13.) You have two new cadets, both under 18. How would you treat them differently? I spoke about restrictions (No nightshift and Haz Work), he asked be about hours of rest and I said I didn’t know but I would check when introducing them to COSWP and the SMS which he seemed happy with.

After that he said he was happy to tell me that I had passed:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.