esailor Team
    Keymaster

CANDIDATE: SANDEEP VINAYAK
    DATE: 29 JAN 2021
    COC: MASTERS (UNLIMITED)
    EXAMINER: JASON PATEMAN
    TIME: 1h 30m
    RESULT: PASS
    HE ASKED ME WHAT VESSELS I HAVE SAILED ON (ALL OIL TANKERS). SO, HE PUT ME ON A OIL TANKER AND SAID UNLESS MENTIONED YOU WILL BE A MASTER OF A 80K TONNAGE OIL TANKER. REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS AS A MASTER
    1) WHY IS TONNAGE IMPORTANT TO MASTER?
    2) WHAT CONVENTION CERTIFICATES WILL YOU FIND ON A UK FLAG VESSEL OF 80K GT (MISSED HONGKONG CONVENTION WHICH HE LATER DE BRIEFED)
    3) WENT ON TO ASK ME TO LIST ALL CERTIFICATES THAT I EXPECT TO FIND. HE WOULD STOP IN BETWEEN AND ASK WHAT A PARTICULAR CERTIFICATE WAS ABOUT.
    4) IS CLASS CERTIFICATE MANDATORY? WHAT DOES SOLAS SAY ABOUT IT?
    5) WHAT DO YOU UNDERSTAND BY NAIROBI CONVENTION? WHAT IS THE CERTIFICATE ABOUT?
    6) WHAT IS BOPIC/OPIC
    7) WHAT IS FAL CONVENTION
    8) OK YOU ARE NOW AT SEA ITS 0200 2/O CALLS YOU GYRO FAILURE (ONLY ONE GYRO) ACTIONS
    9) WHO WOULD YOU REPORT TO AND WHATS GOING ON IN YOUR MIND AS A MASTER (I HAD MENTIONED SEC BEING EFFECTED SO HE ASKED ME WHAT WOULD I DO ABOUT IT)
    10) HE CONTINUED WHAT ORDERS WOULD YOU LEAVE TO OOW CONSIDERING GYRO FAILURE PRIOR HANDING OVER THE CONN AND HOW WOULD YOU WANT THEM TO NAVIGATE
    11) YOU ARE REDIRECTED TO A PORT, WHAT REPORTING YOU WILL CARRY OUT AS A MASTER
    12) HE THEN ASKED ME SPECIFIC TO COVID SITUATION WHAT ELSE (HE WANTED TO HEAR MARITIME DECLERATION OF HEALTH). HE KEPT PUSHING ME TILL HE HEARD IT.
    13) WHAT INSTRUCTIONS WOULD YOU LEAVE TO YOUR CREW WRT TO ARRIVAL PORT (I WENT RANK BY RANK)
    14) HE KEPT PUSHING FOR WHAT OTHER INSTRUCTIONS AND PREPERATIONS TILL I MENTIONED I’LL CHECK IF PORT HAS SPECIFIC FUEL REGS WRT MARPOL ANNEX VI.
    15) HE ASKED ME TO EXPLAIN ANNEX VI AND SULPHUR CONTENT
    16) PRIOR PORT ARRIVAL – RIVER BERTHING- WHAT ARE YOU THINKING AS A MASTER RIGHT NOW (WENT ABOUT EVERTYTHING FROM PASSAGE DEVIATION, DEV REPORT TO CHARTERES IN CASE LOADED, UKC CALC, RA, WRH, SAFETY ASPECTS)
    17) HE SAID I HAVE TO BERTH STB SIDE AND TURN AROUND IN A RIVER. HE ASKED WHERE WOULD I PLACE THE TUGS AND HOW MANY TUGS (I WAS KIND OF THROWN BACK AT THIS POINT). I WENT WITH TWO TUGS 1 FWD ONE STERN AND EXPLAINED HIM. HE ASKED WHAT ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT IF USING MORE TUGS (BASICALLY COMMERCIAL FACTOR – COST OF TUGS). I COULD SEE WHAT HE WOULD ASK NEXT AS HE WAS TRYING TO CONNECT IT WITH ISM.
    18) PILOT SAYS 4 TUGS TO BE USED YOU SAY 2 COMPANY SAYS THEY WILL PAY FOR TWO. WHAT WILL YOU DO? (OVERIDING AUTHORITY/ALSO MENTIONED PILOT HAS BETTER LOCAL KNOWLEDGE SO I WOULD GO WITH IT)
    19) WHAT DO YOU UNDERSTAND BY MASTERS OVERRIDING AUTHORITY AND ISM CODE?
    20) WHAT DO COMPANY NEEDS TO PUT IN SMS WRT ISM (ISM 1.2.3, THEN MENTIONED THE STANDARD THINGS)
    21) WHAT INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO MASTER APART FROM OVERIDING AUTHORITY SHOULD THEY PUT (MASTERS RESP TOWARDS ISM). THERE WERE MORE SMALL QUESTIONS REGARDING ISM WHICH I DON’T REMEMBER BUT HE PRETTY MUCH ASKED EVERYTHING ABOUT THE CODE AS IT WENT ON FOR QUITE SOME TIME.
    22) HE WENT BACK TO PORT SAYING YOU ARE EXPECTING A PSC ONBOARD. YOU DO NOT HAVE BALLAST MANAGEMENT CERTIFICATE. WHAT WOULD YOU DO (HE WANTED TO HEAR ABOUT DOC SINCE BALLAST WATER MANAGEMENT HASN’T BEEN RATIFIED BY UK YET)
    23) SHIP DEPARTS FROM PORT 0300-FIRE DUE TO LEAK IN E/RM FUEL LINES. E/RM REQUESTING EMERGENCY STOP. ACTIONS (STANDARD ACTIONS INCLUDING WHO TO REPORT WHAT TO REPORT)
    24) DUTY ENGINEER MISSING. WOULD YOU FLOOD? (HE KEPT PUSHING FOR A WHILE GIVING ME DIFFERENT SCENARIOS WITH MISSING ENGINEER AND ASKED ME IF I WOULD GO AHEAD AT THIS POINT)
    25) OK DUTY ENGINEER FOUND IN CHANGING LOCKER HOW WILL YOU CONTROL THE FIRE
    26) I HAD MENTIONED DURING THE FIRE THAT WHILE PREPPING THE L/BT FOR POSSIBLE ABANDON SHIP, I WOULD INSTRUCT THE C/O TO ALSO DEPLOY THE ETA. SO, HE BROUGHT THIS POINT UP AND ASKED ME WHAT DO I UNDERSTAND BY SALVAGE OPERATION
    27) YOU ARE BACK ON SEA L/BT LOWERING PLANNED, AS A MASTER WHAT WOULD YOU SEE FROM BRIDGE WINGS. FROM HERE HE WENT ON WITH COMPLETE LIFEBOAT INSPECTIONS INCLUDING LOAD TEST AND PROCEDURES. (MGN 560)
    28) FW TANK CLEANING/AS A MASTER WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS PRIOR SIGNING ENCLOSED SPACE CHECKLIST. (WENT ON TO DISCUSS FULL ENCLOSED SPACE PROCEDURE)
    29) WHAT IS ORB-I. ENTRIES. WHAT WILL YOU CHECK AS A MASTER?
    30) WHAT IS OFFICIAL LOGBOOK. WHAT ARE MASTERS OBLIGATIONS WITH OLB? WHAT WILL YOU ENTER IS NARRATIVE SECTION?
    31) STANDARD RV SITUATION/EXPLAIN RULE 19/WHO IS GIVE WAY IN RULE 19/WHICH SECTION APPLIES TO RULE 19
    32) WHICH RULES IN COLREGS HAVE IMPEDING PASSAGE IN THEM
    33) CBD PORT SIDE ACTION/AS PER WHAT RULE AND WHY. WHAT DO YOU UNDERSTAND BY RULE 18? WHAT DO YOU UNDERSTAND BY CBD?
    34) NO BUOYS
    THAT WAS IT. I WAS KIND OF SKEPTICAL SINCE I TOTALLY MISSED THE HONGKONG CONVENTION AND HE SAID HE EXPECTED ME TO KNOW THAT AT MASTERS LEVER, RIGHT IN THE BEGINIING ITSELF. I STRUGGLED A BIT WITH TUG POISITIONING AS WELL. IN THE END THERE WERE NO BUOYS SO I HAD MADE UP MY MIND IT WAS A GONER. BUT IT ALL WORKED OUT. THE EXAMINER WAS EXTREMLY PRACTICAL, PATIENT AND HE WAS LOOKING FOR MORE OF WHAT YOU DO ONBOARD THAN STANDARD BOOKISH ANSWERS. HE WOULD ALSO DROP SUBTLE HINTS AND TRY TO LET YOU KNOW WHAT EXACTLY HE WAS LOOKING FOR IN A ANSWER.
    HE LATER DEBRIEFED ME EXPLAINING THE HONGKONG CONVENTION AND THE PLACEMENT OF TUGS AND SAID MOST OF IT WRT SHIPHANDLING COMES FROM EXPERIENCE WHICH I WOULD GAIN EVENTUALLY. HE ALSO STRESSED ON MGN 560 AS THERE WERE MANY ACCIDENTS INVOLVING L/BT OPERATIONS. HE SAID HE DOESN’T EXPECT MUCH OF ROR OR BUOYS AT MASTERS LEVEL SO HE IS NOT GOING TO TAKE MORE TIME AND CALL IT A PASS. MY HEART LITERALLY SKIPPED A BEAT. GOOD LUCK TO ALL FUTURE CANDIDATES.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.