Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    esailor Team
    Keymaster

Steven Carroll
    Master Unlimited – PASS
    Online – Microsoft Teams – Malcolm MacKellar
    Tue 02nd Feb 2021 – 1500 – 1540

Exam was supposed to start at 1500. I was a bit worried that the examiner wasn’t appearing on my screen. He appeared at 1505 and apologised for being late adding that the exam before had ran over due to connection issues. At this point he disappeared from my screen. He then re appeared and told me he had a connection issue and that if the connection fails to keep logging back in…. Not really the start I was hoping for. He completed the Introduction on how the exam would be conducted. No recording devices etc.

Q. What ships have you been on?
    A. Cargo/Offshore/Cruise/RoRo ferries.

For the purpose of the exam he said I would be Master on a Class 1 Cruise ship, UK flagged.

Q. How would you take over command as Master?
    A. I made a brief comment to cover myself by mentioning that I’d have gone through the companies pre joining briefing and assuming that I was fully inducted and familiar with the vessel that as Master I would make an entry in the OLB Narrative section stating that I assumed command of the vessel on such a date signed etc.

Q. You have taken over and you check the certificate file. What would you check?
    A. All certs details are correct and in date, no missing certs.

Q. What certificates would you check in the folder?
    A. Standard answer, I gave him all… SOLAS/CLASS/MARPOL. He seemed happy and stopped me during MARPOL certs.

Q. You mentioned ISPS cert…What other related documents would you have onboard? And what would you be checking?
    A. SSP & Security Logbook. I’d be checking that the SSP has been approved and stamped by MCA…
    …He disappeared from the screen. He reappeared and our connection remained stable for the remainder of the exam.

Q. Doing your rounds as Master & find some guys doing work in a stairwell and have made a penetration running cables through a bulkhead. What would your actions be?
    A. I mentioned that from my experience from cruise ships lots of work goes on. However as the work is passing through a bulkhead id have to ask myself if the work permitted? Has a RA been carried out? Do the workers have a PTW? Are proper electrical isolations in place? My priority tho would be to know if the work was approved by class as the stairwell would be an emergency means of escape and the bulkhead would therefore be A-60. He stopped me here to ask What does A-60 mean?

Q. What does A-60 mean?
    A. Can withstand fire for upto 60 mins. I added with regards to the previous question as Master I’m thinking all of the time about the safety of People the ship and protecting the environment.

Q. MLC. What does the certificate issued mean?
    A. It’s a statement of compliance.

Q. MLC. What certificates would you be interested in when joining?
    A. MLC Cert, DMLC1, DMLC2, Employer/Recruiters Liability insurance and Copy of last inspection report.

Q. Ship Handling – Put me on a product tanker. No pilot. Twin screw with bow thruster. Wind F5 from south. Wanted me to berth inside the basin on the East side, with the stern in-line with the bollard marked to ensure that the manifold was in the correct position. (this meant that the wind would be astern when berthing). Ship Handling Slide.
    A. I was pretty comfortable with this (I just berthed it as if we were on a ferry). I told him that we would have completed our pre arrival CL. This would include testing all equipment, AHD/AST, BT, Windlasses, Anchors clear etc. Pre arrival briefing completed including BSN and key members in the operation. Ensure that everyone had the same mental model especially as the environmental factor of F5 winds could make the berthing tricky. Id stick to the windward side of channel to prevent leeway. I made a point of highlighting interaction when passing berthed ships, splitting the sticks and using the BT to get the stern through the wind. I made a point of highlighting that id have instructed the OOW to advise me of speeds and distances off and any wind gusts. I mentioned the pivot point, balanced the ship and crabbed sideways onto the berth. Told him which lines I would want ashore first. And that I would keep power on until all lines were fast …He stopped me there.

Q. During your berthing you have an accident and land hard. You damage the bullwork and hull. What certificates would be affected?
    A. Bulwark = Loadline & Hull = Safety Construction.

Q. Back on Pax ship. OOW call you to bridge. MRCC are on the sat phone. Request to proceed to a yacht in distress 90NM away. You are the closest vessel. Actions?
    A. Before agreeing I would carry out a Nav RA to ensure that I would not be putting the ship into any danger. Id instruct the OOW to complete a temp PP and advise me of the ETA at best possible speed and to get an updated WX forecast. Once happy I would assume the role of OSC. I stated that on my last cruise ship at best sea speed it would have taken apx 4.5HR to arrive on location.
    Id spend the time on passage to conduct a onboard management team meeting with HOD and key team members to discuss the situation and best plan for assisting the vessel. Made a point of mentioning crew HOR. I also mentioned about using the Masters Decision support system, IAMSAR vol 3 and guidance from MRCC. I mentioned about keeping pax advised via PA announcements and that I would delegate this to the cruise director.
    When closer to the yacht in distress we would prepare to receive survivors by having the medical team and DRs on standby, post extra lookouts, prepare FRC & as we are a cruise ship we may have additional resources such as tender boats that we could use …He stopped me there.

Q. Someone dies on passage. What will you do?
    A. As Master, I would complete RBD1 and send to RSS in Cardiff. I also stated that as we would have a DR onboard I would get a copy of the death cert and annex it in the OLB and make a note in the narrative section.

Q. ROR – OOW calls you to the bridge on approach to the Malacca Strait. He doesn’t know what happening… Slide showing a CBD to Port and a Buoyed channel to Stbd. Actions?
    ROR situation Slide 1
    A. I stated that id immediately pull back on the engines to allow us more time to assess the situation. …He stopped me there.

Q. ROR – Tell me what rules apply here? The slide showed a NUC underway and making way on my STBD side and a FV stopped or at anchor on my Port bow.
    ROR situation Slide 2
    A.I took a moment to think about this. I wasn’t sure what he was asking. So I repeated the question to avoid doubt. I started by Identifying what each vessel was and their status. Then I gave their definitions as per Rule 3. I then went onto Rule 18 and stated the responsibility of my PDV to keep out of the way of the NUC & FV. …He stopped me there.

Q. ROR – Same slide 2. He put me on the NUC. Actions?
    A. 5 short, to remind the PDV of their obligation …He stopped me there.

Q. OLB. Narrative section. What can you tell me about it?
    A. I just started telling him what entries you would put in it, signing off crew, Accidents, Casualties, Safety committee meetings, promotion/demotions, wage disputes …He stopped me there.

Q. Who took you for your first attempt?
    A. I told him the examiner. He smiled…

You have answered very well. Congratulations you have PASSED!

Overall, I felt confident going into the exam and was happy with the way I answered each question. I put as much effort into preparing for my 2nd attempt as my first. It was a very different experience to my first attempt and more in line with what I was expecting to be asked at Masters level. I’d like to extend my thanks to Vinil & Shane @ GMA for their support, guidance and believing in me when I doubted myself. shp handling

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.