• Author
    esailor Team
    Keymaster

Orals report, 16 February 2021

Chief Mates Unlimited

Examiner: G. Minocha
    Candidate: S. Rowell

Result: Pass

What do you understand by the terms GRT/GT?

You are new to the company, joining a vessel in dry-dock just prior to re-floating. How would you go about joining, and what information would you seek before-hand?

What checks would you make just prior to, and after, re-floating?

How often do ships need to go to dry-dock?

What is a renewal survey?

What certificates are covered under HSSC?

What are a vessel’s stability criteria under load-line? (Here he wanted me to explain the purpose behind having a minimum GZ, GM etc.)

Tell me about damage stability, how many compartments should a vessel be able to have flooded and survive?

How would you calculate a vessels damage stability?

What do you know about PSC?

How would you advise the third-mate onboard about APEM? What sources of information should he use?

What is on a routing chart?

What considerations would you make for a voyage from China to America, crossing the pacific in February?

What is COW, how would you go about doing it?

You are on watch at 0400, and you get a fire alarm in “zone 1”, (I asked him to clarify what he meant by “zone 1” and he told me it was in the galley) what are your actions as Chief Mate?

Buoys: showed me around 6 slides with different buoys, inbound, heading 090. Asked me to tell him about each one, their lights and to tell him what side I would pass.
     Safe water mark
     Port lateral, region B
     Preferred channel to port, region B
     North cardinal
     Isolated danger mark
     East cardinal

What rules deal with restricted visibility?

How would you explain rule 19 to a cadet?

Then he showed me a slide of a vessel coming up from 22.5 degrees abaft my starboard beam and asked me to explain my actions.

And that was it, although I’m sure there’s some things I’ve forgotten.
    It all took about 1 hour and 40 minutes.

I was sure I’d failed after he asked me about damage stability, I couldn’t remember very many specifics and I had no idea how to calculate it. I managed to keep talking though, which I think is what got me through.
    When he asked me about which rules apply in restricted visibility I REALLY thought I’d failed; I messed up explaining section I, II & III, and I couldn’t remember the exact wording of rule 19 and missed the part about having your engines ready for manoeuvre. In the end I just explained how I would apply it and as it turned out he was happy.
    Capt. Minocha was very fair examiner, especially considering where I messed up. He covered a lot of ground in his questions, and would occasionally pause my answer to ask about something I’d said.

Thanks to everyone who’s helped me prepare over the last few months, especially all the extra Zoom sessions, it was all worth it in the end!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.